Although skin lightening creams don't cost as much as laser therapies but they usually offer good results. If you are looking for good over-the-counter products to treat your dark spots, there are many choices. The good thing is that you don't need prescription. You just follow the instruction as stated on the labels.
Basics For Using Over The Counter Skin Whitening Creams
The principles for bleaching pigmentation spots are the same whether they are caused by too much sun exposures, acne, or hormonal changes during pregnancy.
- You should only apply the cream on the dark spots. Sometimes it is not possible with freckles that spread over a large area. So make sure the OTC skin lighteners can be used on large areas without any side effects.
- You should stop using the product once the brown spots have achieved the desired lightening. If you insist of using it, then you may end up with areas that are lighter than your original tone.
- You should never apply the bleaching ingredients on the healthy skin. It may cause uneven skin tone.
- Sunscreen is an essential component of any hyperpigmentation therapy. Use it daily to prevent the recurrence of dark spots.
Should You Use OTC Hydroquinone Skin Whiteners
Many over the counter bleaching creams contain hydroquinone, the standard agent for hyperpigmentation treatment. It can inhibit melanin production. Some have seen their age spots faded as effectively as a laser.
An over-the-counter cream usually contains 2 percent hydroquinone. Normally you should see significant lightening of your dark spots in eight to 12 weeks. If you are using prescription strength, the results will be faster. Probably you can achieve even skin tone in four to eight weeks.
However, this photographic chemical has been found to cause more damage than good. In the United States, the FDA regulations limit its amount in OTC skin whitening products. You will never find any thing above 2 percent hydroquinone.
Certain dermatologists believe that you can brighten your skin using over-the-counter skin-lightening creams. You don't have to go extremes. Ingredients such as retinol, glycolic acid, alpha hydroxy acids have modest benefit. You can check the product label to see if they contain these ingredients.
You cannot completely rely on hydroquinone creams because of the potential side effects. Without doctors' supervision, anything can go south.
Why OTC Skin Lightening Creams Deliver Poor Results
Not everyone enjoy great results with over the counter products. Here are why.
- They are good for small blemishes.
- Hydroquinone products only provide a temporary solution especially if you are not treat acne marks. Once you stop the treatment, the action of the tyrosinase in the skin will be in operation again, triggering pigmentation. Post-acne pigmentation is a temporary response of the skin. So, OTC skin lighteners can lighten it quicker.
- They can fade dark marks but with unsatisfactory results. Also, you may have a small risk of surrounding hypo pigmentation. You can use them on most skin types safely but don't expect too much. Pretty much, you have to use them religiously to see those age spots faded.
If you're not happy with the current performance of the over-the-counter hyperpigmentation creams, you should try a specialty solution. But first, you need to know how to choose the best OTC skin lightening cream.
An effective dark spot remover must serve two major objectives.
- It must shed the upper lays of the skin, increasing the penetration of the active ingredients.
- It must interfere the production of melanin.
The days of monotherapy in skin bleaching are over. You have to determine if the product can target the entire spectrum of melanin production.
It should not contain harmful elements such as hydroquinone, steroid, mercury and lead.
It should only use herbal extracts to reduce the risk of side effects.
You should check the customers' reviews to gauge the effectiveness of OTC skin lighteners.
Lastly, it should work for all skin types and colors.
With the rapid innovation, the birth of Meladerm has helped many women who are struggling with skin discoloration and hyperpigmentation of any form.
Meladerm boasts several pigment-inhibiting compounds that have the ability to reduce dark spots. It is formulated with powerful ingredients such as alpha arbutin, mulberry extract, licorice extract, bearberry extract, lemon juice extract and kojic acid. Because it uses only natural botanical extracts and does not contain hydroquinone, mercury or steroid, there is very little risk of side effects.
The ingredients in Meladerm have been proven to lighten liver spots, acne marks, melasma, and freckles. Therefore this is the best over the counter skin lightening cream you can bank on.
You should visit http://www.audreyadams.net/meladerm-cream-reviews/ to learn in detail about how Meladerm can help you attain even skin tone.